Wednesday, June 8, 2011

To Believe or Not To Believe

Believing is a big part of life. When growing up you mostly follow the beliefs of your parents, but as you grow older you start to develop your own beliefs. Believing in something is important for most people and differs in the religion you have. As far as I know, God is the one most of the population believe in, but certainly not the only one. Nowadays, New Age comes up in conversations even more than it did back in the days. If I'm not mistaken, it's its own class and doesn't have a holy text unlike most formal religions. It's a mind-body-soul spirituality where people with the same beliefs get together. It is believed that things like healing with only your hands and mind is absolutely possible and unlike any other religion, there's no actual believing in a "Being" (like God, Buddha…etc.)

I grew up in a family filled with non-believers, and even now, I've never believed in God. I went through events like a confirmation and had to attend religious classes in school, but I just couldn't get myself to believe in God. As years passed and tragic events happened, I lost faith in believing at all. I've heard sayings about God, that there's a reason for everything He does, but being filled with pain and confusion, I just couldn't understand why He would take loved ones away from us. Going through life filled with tragic and unfair events showed me even more that something like God just couldn't exist. At least not in my mind.

So here I am, trying to put a post together about something I don't really believe in, but feeling the need of having to do it anyway. I feel that there's something higher than us. Something that watches over us and protects us from bad things. Thinking about all the things that have happened in the world and are still happening, there just has to be a higher being. Some things just don't make any sense at all and to find an actual answer to all those questions is just too hard. So I feel it, but do I actually believe in it? I don't know.

A few days ago, I've asked myself the question of whether or not life would be easier if I'd actually believe in something. Would life so far had turned out different if I'd believed in God? Or believed in anything at all? Would I be a different person if that would be the case? But then I realized something. I thought about it hard and long and came to the conclusion that I indeed believe in something higher. Something that's above us and - I like to think so - protects us from the bad. I found something, something that might be the answer to my question.

Who said that believing in something has to be religious? Who said that the only beliefs you can have are the believing in God etc.? I know for a lot of religious people, that's exactly the case. But what about the spiritual folk? Aren't the things they believe in emotional? Like Love and Astrology? Crystals and Tarot Cards? If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what it is. I'm not sure if I believe in the telling of the future by astrology, crystals and tarot cards, but I can definitely say that I do believe in love. The moment you are born you receive the love of your mother. Then your father and the entire family come into picture. You receive all their love and you didn't even do anything to get it all. You've only seen this world for a few minutes, but you're already overflowed by it. The receiving continues as you grow older, and by the time you can make decisions for yourself, you start giving love. So if we think about this for a second, love accompanies you throughout your entire life, so isn't the belief in love (which is something spiritual) equal to the belief in a God? (religious).

A lot of questions I might never get an answer to, but I'll definitely keep an open mind when going through life, because you never know when something comes your way that makes you feel 'free'! Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I consider myself spiritual and believe in God, a male/female God. I heal with my hands with God and the Holy Spirit using me as a conduit for healing energy.

I believe we are spirits created by God. I believe that we choose to come down to earth to learn and experience, choosing before hand what we want to accomplish. A virtual school if you will. I don't believe God takes away loved ones, I believe that when we are done learning what we have set out to learn, we go back home to heaven, that simple.

I also believe that we are all here to help each other on our journeys of learning. I don't believe in accidents or coincidence, I believe we are meant to have experiences and meet people so that we my learn from them and vice versa.

Above all things I believe in love. Love without boundaries, laws or justifications. God is love, if there is love...what else more can u need?

Love, light and Happiness,
Julie

DevotedStud said...

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion, Julie. You said that we choose what we want to accomplish and I absolutely agree with you. But I disagree with you about God not taking away loved ones. I.E. A newly born dies, so are you really telling me it's because it's done learning? I mean it just was born, so how could it be done learning what it was set out to learn already?

I absolutely love the way you described us people helping each other on our journey. I don't believe in accidents and coincidence either, but things that are meant to happen. Sometimes it's just really hard to figure out why things happen the way they do.

Love is all you need. Period.

Thank you.

Post a Comment